Obtaining Medical Records (Updated)

Complaints against Hospitals, Legal Action and Inquests

Moderator: Moderators

Stuart264
I just about live here

Obtaining Medical Records (Updated)

Postby Stuart264 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:22 pm

People seem a little :idea: "in the dark" :idea: about obtaining medical records.

The guidance is online on the NHS Website
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/ ... chk=wsrEF9

And the FAQ's which cover most questions about the who, where and why aspects are online at
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/ ... chk=iOJNGp

However I strongly suggest any request includes a formal request for the microbiology, pathology and laboratory test results if you want to know if C-Diff was involved.

14th February 2006 - Updated

A cautionary note for something I have just been made aware of. When you are obtaining the medical records of a living person be especially careful that you are not charged more than the £10 maximum fee that the Data Protection Act as some hospitals (mine included) are asking for the £25 fee defined by the Access to Medical Records Act which is incorrect as that act only applies to the deceased.
Secondly when applying under the Data Protection Act they can't legally "sit on" applications for weeks before they ask for the fee and then say the 40 days they have to comply starts at the recipt of the fee. I have checked with the Information Commisioner's advice line and they have asked for this sort of practise to be reported to them in writing.

smith
Regular Contributor

cost of medical notes copies

Postby smith » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:07 pm

I have just sent off the money for my late fathers notes. One hospital charged me £20 and the other £50.(he moved hospitals). I rang up the latter and queried this ammount. He had only been in less than 2 weeks so his notes would not have been extensive. I explained that I understood there were costs involved with admin, phtocopying and postage (recorded delivery) but that £50 was alot. They dropped it to £10. So its worth challenging the ammount they ask for. The DOH states that they shouldnt make money out of it!. Just thought I would share that.

smith
Regular Contributor

Postby smith » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Its worth challenging the cost of GP notes to. I wrote in my request that I understood there was a fee but that it shouldn't result in a profit and they brought it down from £50 to £10. Its worth narrowing the notes you want. GP notes can be extensive but I was only interested in the events leading up to his admission to hospital so that made it cheaper aswell.

Annie

Postby Annie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:37 pm

That's really helpful to have info like this posted, it can only encourage other people to make sure they are not over charged. Thanks.

Nadia
I just about live here

Postby Nadia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:21 am

Hi All,

You were lucky Smith. I have paid the £10.00 standard fee under Access to Health Records Act 1990 and have now received a letter to say permission has been granted for the release of the copies at a cost of 30p per copy. There are 337 copy notes altogether resulting in a cost to me of £101.10 (excluding the initial £10.00). I have been onto the NHS helpline to say I felt this may be excessive....but no apparently this is in line with the guidelines set to them and that to try to prove they may be making a profit would be extremely hard. I don't mind paying for what I get under normal circumstances... just bloody hate giving them anything after what they did to my dad.

Regards Nadia

Catherine M

Postby Catherine M » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Cheeky sods. Have you actually challenged the hospital?

Annie

Postby Annie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:19 pm

If the person is still living, there is a maximum fee that can be charged:

Answer
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 (Fees and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2001 the maximum fee that can be charged for providing copies of health records is £10 for computer records and £50 for copies of manual records or a mixture of manual and computer records. Charges are for copying and posting the records only and should not result in a profit for the record holder. Some types of records, such as x-rays, may be expensive to copy.

Why is it any different if the person is deceased.

Catherine M

Postby Catherine M » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:41 pm

I guess because rules around confidentiality to personal records is different. Deceased people are covered by the Access to Health Records Act, not Data Protection, so the fees under Data Protection don't apply in this case.

Annie

Postby Annie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Sorry Catherine, it was a rhetorical question - still unfair though.

sue1965
User

how

Postby sue1965 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:02 am

Hi how do i get my dad's records? sue

Nadia
I just about live here

Postby Nadia » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:47 am

Hi Sue,

I am assuming it's your dad's notes from the hospital that you are after. Ring reception at the hospital and ask which dept. deals with this (in mine it was the Operational Management Directorate) and ask them to put you through. Explain what you are after and they will send out the appropriate forms for you to fill in. There will be an initial fee of £10.00 to be returned with the forms and if you want copies of all the notes then it's at the hospitals discretion what they charge you (usually between 20 and 30 pence per copy and there can be lots of copies). Some members have been lucky enough not to be charged anything. I suppose it depends upon how compassionate your Trust is.

Hope this helps.

Nadia

Julie112607
User

Re: Obtaining Medical Records (Updated)

Postby Julie112607 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 am

Hi I have been told to access my Late fathers medical records they will cost from £700 up to more than £1,000 + is this correct?

Return to “Complaints and Legal”