Very belated yippee, and encouragement?

Rid yourself of Cdiff? Got a hospital to accept blame? Why not share the good news here?

Moderator: Moderators

John F
New User

Very belated yippee, and encouragement?

Postby John F » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:10 pm

I haven't contributed to this list for seven years, but thought that this woefully belated post might give some encouragement to others who have relatives or friends suffering from the infection. My mother contracted C.Diff at the age of 88, on top of a burst stomach ulcer, and relapsed three or four times over a period of a few months in 2007. I'm pleased to say that she made a complete recovery after my last post in May 2007, and that she's still going strong at the age of 95, living independently with no recurrence of any stomach problems (no recurrence of anything, thank goodness)! For what it's worth, I'm convinced that in her case (apart perhaps from her equine constitution) what helped most was:

1) Vancomycin in a tapered dose, backed up with Saccharomyces Boulardii. (Perhaps even more effective drugs are now available?)

2) Reading up on your excellent forum, showing the medical staff that you know what you're talking about and that you're determined to nag away at them if things aren't working out satisfactorily. Easier said than done, I know.

I do hope this doesn't sound too smug and self-congratulatory. There were times when I almost despaired, but I must say that receiving support from members of this group, both publicly and in private messages, did an awful lot to keep my spirits up. Very best wishes to you all!

Essex
Brand New Poster

Postby Essex » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi John

It doesn't sound too smug at all. Every success story gives people encouragement. So glad your Mother pulled through and has had the chance to enjoy life again, she must be a very resilient woman.

Interesting to hear that the yeast culture helped. The doctors that treated my Dad were quite dismissive about the effectiveness of probiotics. I'm all for natural remedies but wonder how many live cultures there are in over the shelf 'live yougurts' etc. by the time one drinks them to have a beneficial effect.

Simon
Never give up hope

Return to “Success Stories”