Cdiff Support Clostridium difficile Support
A Community for Those Affected By Clostridium difficile

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how long before feel better following C-Diff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Clostridium difficile Support Forum Index -> Survivors Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacquelinebilham
New User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: how long before feel better following C-Diff Reply with quote

following c-diff back in may, see 44 year old sufferer in general posts

i still have problems with my stomach an urgency to go 3 or 4 times a day not diahorea, i take a pro-biotitic (sp) every day, my stomach often feels bloated and aches, GP says it takes a while for stomach to re store to it normal self but last dose of C-Diff was back in May.

Any ideas how long this will go on or ideas for speeding recovery since having C-Diff i just never feel well,

thanks
ohsotired
New User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'm in the same boat as you now! i just got told today i'm c diff negative for the first time in more than a month. i'm kind of not convinced. lol. i'm off the flagyl pills and now wondering where do i go from here.

like you all i've been told is that it can take some time to recover and the irritable bowel has to be treated as it comes. seems like you've been having to do that for awhile now though! from what i know all we can do is avoid potentially irritating foods, alcohol, too much caffiene, etc... i think i'm going to try to get in to see a nutritionist for advice.
deiseboy
I just about live here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a healthy gut is sometimes subject to upsets, but after CDAD, the lining of the gut is severely diminished and, even when the c.diff is gone, is vulnerable to various degrees of upsets which a healthy lining would routinely cope with. C.diff can only become established in the first place because the balance is upset by antibiotics.

This disturbance is not quickly remedied and after-effects may persist for many months, will vary between individuals and also with the amount of damage done by the CDAD or colitis.

There is a Daily Mail article on prebiotic foods which assist the re-establishment of the good bacteria contained in probiotic products here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=400681&in_page_id=1774&in_a_source=&ito=1490

Taking probiotics will help to speed up the process of recovery.
There is some information on probiotics here:

http://www.cdiff-support.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1216&highlight=culturelle

and here

http://www.cdiff-support.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1524
Stuart264
I just about live here

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-Biotics do work, though I tend to shy away from Commercial Products myself as you never know how many bacteria are left alive after its gone through the supply chain and thanks to my limited budget I am broke.

I did my research and I spent 20 on an electric yoghurt maker from Lakeland http://www.lakeland.co.uk and I make my own pro-biotic yogurt with UHT Milk and a carton of Total Yoghurt following the method from the SCD Diet book, if you want the instructions I will be happy to post them as its dead easy to make and you get an end result with a bacterial yield in the Trillions (rather than Billions for commercial products)

The other thing I have found long term is that taking the Amino Acid L-Glutamine helps the body to heal the damage to the gut, I have been taking it myself the last few months and while the effect isnt instant I can certainly feel a difference over time.
peverel
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My husband has now been C.Diff free for 6 months, he takes Actimel in the morning and 1 Diarsafe and in the evening 1 Culturelle, I am wondering now if we can cut back the Culterelle. Has anyone any ideas?
Regards
Ann
Stuart264
I just about live here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped taking pro-biotics about 6 months back, mainly because I was getting high levels of trapped wind which were causing my pain levels to spike.

Really depends how you feel, I felt that after 12 months without having to be treated for c-diff I was as free of it as i can ever hope to be but I strongly suspect that its still in my system and a dose of broad spectrum antibiotics will kick it off again, but there isn't a lot I can do about that but live my life as best I can and don't sweat the things I cant control
peverel
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart, David is really well now, putting on weight and no problems, apart from the intial problem that put him in hospital in the first place (Liver Disease), I think I will keep him on Diarsafe for another 6 months (that will make it a year). I am positive that the pro-biotics and the continual bleaching etc, has helped him beat this awful bug. Without this site, we would not have known what to do.
Regards
Ann
Stuart264
I just about live here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to try L-Glutamine too, its good for healing the damage to the gut and I personally feel the difference for taking it.
Tad73
Brand New Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had C-diff in March 2005 and I can honestly say that I have never been right since. Before I was diagnosed I had been having tests done for the stomach upsets and the pain and was under a consultant at the hospital but they didn't spot it. It was only after the symptoms got much worse that my Dr got me admitted to hospital. After it cleared I was told by my consultant that it could take at least 2 years for my system to recover but even now I still have stomach problems. Nobody ever told me the truth about the bug and how serious it was!

I ended up losing my job last year due to taking time off sick with stomach bugs which I seemed to get at the drop of a hat and when I became pregnant the symptons I had made me think I had c-diff again and I was really worried about losing my baby. Unfortunately I had a boss who didn't care and made it impossible for me to stay at my job.

I now have a healthy 10 month old boy but still don't keep great health and suffer from terrible stomach pains which has really spoilt this special time with my baby. I have tried various things to try and make things better but so far nothing has worked for me. Confused
Stuart264
I just about live here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, its pretty much decimated my life as I went from being a professional buyer with a career to disabled through the damage its done so I know exactly what you mean and how wishy washy the doctors can be, it took them nearly 18 months to work out that I had become a celiac (gluten intollerant) due to a genetic pre-disposition trigged by the c-diff and I think they only did that by accident because a junior gastro who I wouldn't let fob me off again did every blood test under the sun out of desperation.

Things are starting to improve slowly,medics finally got me on some painkillers that work and don't send me "Dagenham East" (4 stops past Barking), cutting out dairy and gluten helps along with taking L-Glutamine, I have eased off the probiotics as I was finding bouts of trapped wind were agony and I live each day at a time.......like today when I am up at 4am because I have flu from a 90 minute waiting session in the doctors waiting room so it was guaranteed I was going to pick something up

Ah well.......I just try to be philosophic about it, mind you seeking treatment for the bouts of depression I have suffered as a result of c-diff is starting to help.
Julie
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Blood test ??? Reply with quote

Hi, I had C-diff in August this year after gall bladder surgery, so its still early days for me. The syptoms have eased ( although as others have said, I need to use the loo urgently about 4 times a day) I rang the hospital after I finished the course of Metronidazole to ask what happens now.

They basically said "do nothing" but go to GP if symptoms re-appear.

Apparently a blood test is of no use as It will be in my system for atleast a year.

I work in a school with special needs children, although I am still on sick leave for atleast another 6 weeks to recover from the surgery, my colleagues have questioned how safe it is for me to return to work.

I am 49 by the way ............... anyone else in the same position re age and work?

Would like to hear from you ,

Julie
Catherine M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie,

Once you have had formed stools for 48-72 hours you are no longer infectious. Your colleagues mustn't be worried about them or the children catching C diff from you. Your returning to work once well does not present a risk to them at all. Here is a link to a good overall introduction to the infection which hopefully will put their minds at ease.

http://www.cdiff-support.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1705

Aside from their worries, there are things you can do for your wellbeing around diet and probiotics. Again the leaflet will outline this. There are posts about both these aspects throughout the site. If you use the search function, top right hand side of each page, you'll be able to browse through them. If you get stuck with this, do get back.
Best wishes,
Catherine
Julie
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Catherine,

Your message was very useful ............ I intend to save and print the info and let my colleagues read it

Basically, people just need to be educated about C-Diff ......... ME INCLUDED

Julie.
nsewell
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been cdiff free for 16 months now but do have IBS thanks to it. Lately my hormones have been out of wack so It seems kinda like cidff all over again but I know its just my IBS. Just goes to show some of our stomachs never really do go back to normal.
Julie
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to nsewell in South Dakota

I was in S. Dakota during our holiday in August, visiting our son who was working there at the time.

But back to business, I have been C-diff free for about 6 weeks now and like you, have been told this week by my doctor that I have IBS as a result of C-diff affecting the bowel ............ he went on to say that It may be up to two years before things settle down , great huh?

Well if that is the case you are 14 months ahead of me ...... It will be interesting to know if you will be symptom free one day .......... I wish you well ..

Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Clostridium difficile Support Forum Index -> Survivors Lounge All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: